Our area offers some extremely versatile and beautiful scenery. If you’re looking for something specific, let me know and I would be happy to give you some ideas. I love finding the perfect spot that really speaks to you and is easily accessible for everyone.
To avoid any last minute stress, please make sure to pick out all family outfits and accessories well in advance. If your outfits are new, please make sure your kids have a chance to wear them a couple of times beforehand so that they’ll be comfortable during the shoot. I strive to keep our sessions relaxed and comfortable, so the biggest recommendation I can make is to make sure you feel comfortable with what clothing you bring. Still unsure of what to wear? Check out my style board for some great pieces that photograph beautifully with my style!
WHAT TO BRING
Yourselves and a willingness to have FUN! But seriously, feel free to bring snacks, water/juice/milk, your child’s favorite “lovey”. These small things can sometimes make the biggest difference when warming up a timid little one in front of the camera! Your four legged friends are always welcome to join as long as they play nice and our location allows for pets.
I’m here for that glorious golden light, and the fact that you’re booking with me tells me you are too! If you’ve seen my work and swooned, that lighting really is that cherry on top. Most of my sessions will be booked about an hour before sunset so please keep in mind when booking that timing will change throughout the year. Earlier sessions times will most likely happen early and spring and very late into fall/beginning of winter. I know that can be challenging with little ones bedtime routines, but with proper scheduling and prepping before the session, I know you can have some of that golden sunset behind you too! If the thought of late evening melt downs scare you, or maybe your kiddo(s) are morning people, let’s chat about an early morning session instead!
IT’S ALL IN THE DETAILS
Your clothing selections and choice of location will make the biggest difference in the final feel and look of your gallery. Feel free to message me with photos of your outfits or with questions about what will look best for photos, I’m always happy to help!
TOP 5 WARDROBE TIPS
- You don’t need to match, just coordinate. Pick a color combination for your family and work within that. We don’t want everyone wearing one solid color, but we also don’t want everyone wearing different colors and patterns that compete with each other.
- Don’t be too seasonal. Of course you can draw inspiration from the colors of the season (e.g. soft pastels in the spring or on a beach, gorgeous earthy tones in the late summer and into fall), but our aim is produce a gallery of photos that you can hang in your home year round!
- Avoid busy patterns an logos. Earth tones, textures and solid colors are classic and timeless choices. I always love to stress layers, even in warmer months. Think a flowy dress with a shawl. Pieces that provide movement add so much visual interest to images!
- Proper fit is best! You don’t want clothes that are so snug that you’re constantly tugging and pulling on your pants and shirts. On the same token you don’t want clothes that are so baggy that you get lost in them!
- Try your clothes on in advance!!! I’m going to reiterate it again because it’s just that important. I want to keep our sessions relaxed and fun, and if you guys aren’t comfortable in your clothes… we’ll that’s not fun for anyone! Allow kids the chance to “break in” the clothes by wearing them a few times beforehand so they’ll be used to the feeling of them.
Organically focusing on and story telling for my clients will always produce images that stand the test of time, but I hope this has given you a lot of great ideas on what to bring and what to expect. Of course if you need any help along the way, I’m here for you!